Garlic Mashed Potato Moussaka
- 3 tbsp plus 6 oz (45 mL plus 175 mL) Olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) Onion, chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) White wine
- 3 lbs (1.4 kg) Ground beef or lamb
- 2 cups (500 mL) Tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) Parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp (4 mL) Allspice
- 3 lbs (1.4 kg) Eggplant, sliced in 1/4-inch circles
- 6 oz (180 g) Bread flour
- 2 lbs (0.9 kg) Parmesan cheese or Greek Kefalotiri, shredded
- 4 lbs (1.8 kg) (1 bag) Lamb's Supreme ® Roasted Garlic Redskin Mashed 1.8 kg
- Potatoes (Item M62), prepared
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
- 2. Heat the 3 tbsp. olive oil in a large sauté pan. Sweat onions. Add garlic for 1 minute. Deglaze with wine. Add meat and cook until lightly brown. Add tomatoes, parsley, and allspice. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 3. Season eggplant with salt and pepper and lightly coat with flour. Heat 6 oz. of olive oil in sauté pan. Fry eggplant until lightly brown. Set aside.
- 4. Line a 2-inch half steam table pan with half of the fried eggplant. Sprinkle with some of the cheese. Spread all of the meat mixture over the top and sprinkle with some cheese. Add remaining eggplant and sprinkle with cheese. Top with the mashed potatoes. Cover with the remaining cheese and bake for 20 minutes. Let rest before cutting.
Roasted Garlic Redskin Mashed